Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Coldplay "Glass of Water"

This is a great song. I don't think I could ever get sick of it. The lyrics might not make perfect literal sense when you read through them, but that's great because then they might mean something different to you each time you listen to it. Actually, maybe you shouldn't read the lyrics the first time you listen to it.

Also (speaking as a musician, or a musical snob as my hubby likes to call us) I think this song is musically stimulating. More so than...a lot of songs. (You know how some pop/rock songs make you want to bang your head against a wall because they're so repetitive and numbing? Okay, so maybe that doesn't happen to you.) Anyway, you've got to check this song out. It's on the player to the right. Great lyrics, great music.... love it.

Glass of Water Lyrics:
Scared of losing all the time
He wrote it in a letter
He was a friend of mine

He heard you could see your future
Inside a glass of water
The ripples and the lines
And he asked
Would I see heaven in mine?

That is just the way it was
Nothing could be better
And nothing ever was

Oh they say you can see your future
Inside a glass of water
The riddles and the rhymes
Will I see heaven in mine?
Oh Oh Oh Oh I

Son, don't ask
Neither half full or empty is the glass
Cling to the mast
Spend your whole life living in the past
Going nowhere fast

So he wrote it on a wall
The hollowest of halos
Is no halo at all
Televisions selling plastic figurines of leaders
Saying nothing at all
And you chime
Stars in heaven align
Ohhhhhhhh I

Son, don't ask
Neither half full or empty is the glass
Cling to the mast
Spend your whole life living in the past
Going nowhere fast

What are we drinking when we’re done?
Glasses of water

3 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

Cold Play use to be one of those groups that would make me want to bang my head against the wall. They were just so repetetive. It was like listening to one of those guys in college who couldn't read music but knew a few chords on the piano and would play them every time he had the opportunity to, and all the girls would flock around him and I would want to say, "You do realize he's an idiot right? He's wearing a vest, for crying out loud!"

But then Viva la Vida came out and I discovered that I really liked how their sound had evolved. They were still kind of repetetive but they had a much fuller sound that made the repetition seem more orchestrated and less lame-guy-on-the-piano.

Great song. Thanks for sharing.

Emily said...

Musical snob? That hoyts.
This is a great song. I think you and Jeff have great taste in pop music. And sometimes when I hear Chris Martin's voice I think it's Jeff for a second. That might just be a result of the association, though.
I really liked the song you put on Tom's b-day video. Was that Cold Play or Travis?

As to the college guy at the piano, he also sometimes wears suspenders, you know?

Anonymous said...

Haha! Yeah. Good song.