Monday, November 17, 2008

The Incredible Hulk

Speaking of shallow, non-confrontational movies, I just saw The Incredible Hulk. I know what you're asking: Which one? The most recent one, starring Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. Now, I'm not sure how many Incredible Hulk movies this world needs...all I know is that I really loved this one and I'm glad the story was redone from the 2003 version.

It had several things going for it before it started; actors that I like in a tragic story. But the 2003 version had some of that as well and didn't quite pull it off. So what was it about this 2008 version that was so much better? I think the story was a lot more engaging, and it was directed in a such a way as to keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I felt like it was strong in all the core elements: story, dialogue, acting, music, cinematography, action, special effects...

I saw the 2003 version and to tell you the truth, I don't remember much about it at all. I remember it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it must not have made much of an impression. But I know I'll remember this version...I know because I actually want to watch it again, which is usually how I can divide the good movies from the bad.

2 comments:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

I liked The Incredible Hulk much more than Ang Lee's Hulk attempt in 2003. This movie does a better job of getting your interest right from the start. You can acutally be interested in the characters in the Norton version.

I try not to be too critical of comic book hero movies since they are obviously not real. But I didn't care for the part when he said "Hulk Smash". Lou Ferrigno had a cameo as a security guard in both movies. I'd give it 6.9 out of 10