Friday, July 10, 2009

Arranged

I have other media piling up in my queue of things to blog about here. But I just finished watching this movie and I liked it so much I have to report NOW!!

I really, really, liked this movie. I pretty much smiled through the whole thing. It's on netflix instant play. Watch it.

The basic story is about a muslim girl and an orthodox jewish girl, both teachers at the same school, who become friends and find they share some of the same concerns associated with being slated for arranged marriages. I won't give away any more of the story but I will tell you why I liked it.

Simplicity-- There's nothing overly hyped or hollywoodized here. Even the script, at times, seems raw. But in a good way. It's unpretentious. But the acting is so phenomenal (especially the performance of Zoe Lister Jones as Rochel) that everything the script leaves out is told by gestures, facial expressions, etc. I believed everything about her character. I love great acting! (ps. another movie with fantastic acting is Moonlight Mile.)

Religious Theme-- In most films coming out these days, religious people are usually portrayed as freakazoids, condemning others and shouting hellfire and damnation. (I'm thinking mostly of Where the Heart Is, but I know there are plenty of other examples. Chaka, help me out here.) I felt so refreshed to see in this film, the obvious antagonist was the school principal who repeatedly pulled the girls aside and told them they need to stop dressing so modestly, join the womens' movement, basically that they need to get with the times and abandon their traditions. I really identified with these ladies and was so happy to see a film that respected and upheld their religious differences. And a film in which the person putting them down was obviously a jerk. (what's the female form of jerk? jerkesse?)

Happy Ending with kind of a little tiny twist-- It's just an all-around good story. I don't know what else to say. Watch it and let me know what you think.




3 comments:

Tom said...

Great post, I am looking forward to this and have just added it to my queue. Some other movies where the religious people come across as zealots are Footloose and Inherit the Wind. It's good to see posting action on here again.

Tom said...

I finally saw this movie and I really liked it. I especially liked the whole Muslim/Jew friend dynamic.

Mary said...

The very last scene was my favorite- very cute!

I also enjoyed watching the Jewish man from the Ukraine. Ha Ha.